Named after John C. Breckinridge who was the 14th Vice President of the United States, the town of Breckenridge has its name changed since then because of the vice president siding with the Confederates. But irrespective of its history, the place has remained popular with adventure seekers and skiers since the first trails for skiing were cut in 1961. The place offers a bounty of sports for thrill seekers like white water rafting, mountain biking, hiking, alpine slides as well as boating or flies fishing for those who want to just take in the view. For a place so popular there are bound to be Breckenridge cabins for rent where one can stay.
But what else is there to do in Breckenridge apart from winter sports? Turns out, a lot:
- Walking History Tour: Exhausted after skiing and want to take a day off? Then this is a leisurely activity which you can enjoy while you stroll and enjoy the store district of Breckenridge. Enjoy stories of individuals who made it- some are inspiring, some are not but most of them came along looking for gold. The walking tour is cheap since it costs about $10 and takes around one and a half hours to complete.
- Snowshoeing: At the Nordic center- you can choose between the Breckenridge Nordic Center and the Gold Run Nordic Center. You will find various trail options which are suitable for various individuals- from beginner to experience. As for the shoes you can rent crescent moon snowshoes or if you don’t want to rent there will be some readily available for purchase as well (prices will vary according to the size and style of shoe). There is also the option of a guided tour for ages three and older if you aren’t comfortable setting out on your own. But make sure to make a reservation there. There are many trails and so they interconnect at some point but along the way, you will get to see some breathtaking views so pack your camera in as well.
- Sledding and Tubing: First things first- sledding on resort property is forbidden and if you chose to ignore it then you could end up with a fine. So if you are staying in a resort town then it’s best to give up that option. But there is a sledding hill over in Breckenridge at Carter Park and the best thing about it is that it is free. There are other many sledding and tubing areas as well like the Frisco adventure park but the pricing varies for different stops. Still keep an estimation of around $30 per hour, per person.
- Dog Sledding: Always wondered about this? Well, secretly most people have. So here is a chance to fulfill that dream as Breckenridge offers up several dog sledding experiences which will make your heart race as the dogs pull you along on a joy ride. The words used to describe it as definitely exhilarating and exciting. Of course, there are a variety of different trips and also breaks for the dogs along the way. This will definitely be a lifetime experience you will enjoy with your family.
- Snow Sculpture Championship: People from all around the world come to compete at the snow sculpture making competition around the Riverwalk center at the end of January. Similar to how the world championship of sand sculpting is done, here too the snow sculptures take hours to complete. These works of art are a must-see event in Breckenridge. So, check your calendars and make sure that your trip aligns with the championship dates.
- Shopping in Breckenridge: Home to several storefronts which feature up jewelry, antiques, and bookstores; this place is where you will find everything and anything from winter clothing and sporting goods to housewares and art. There are also little shopping nooks and crannies where you will find offbeat souvenirs, gifts and of course food as well.
- Continental Divide Winery: Located in Main Street station, this will give you a fabulous wine tasting and wine blending experience since you will get to play with the winery’s 100% California Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Merlot, Pinot Noir and Colorado Petit Verdot. You can get to play winemaker and create your own blend of wine. This session lasts about two hours and is a ton of fun, filled with interactions. But the best part is that you will get one souvenir bottle of the wine which you blended. You will get to create anywhere from a single bottle to many and will be able to take them home. But of course, make sure to get a reservation in advance for the custom crafted experience.
- Oxygen Bar: Altitude sickness is common at Breckenridge which is located at a summit elevation of 12,998 feet. At the O2 lounge, you will be able to suck in some of that fresh oxygen. There are also sessions of air- 15, 30 and 45 minutes where visitors will sit in their stations and the air (with about 90% O2) will be pumped to those areas where visitors will be able to breathe in peace. The price? It’s $12, $20 and $25 in correspondence with the above time. But there isn’t just oxygen at this place, there are also coffees, hot teas, hot chocolate and a range of smoothies which can enjoy along with the free Wi-Fi.
Breckenridge is a traveller’s snow paradise filled with the cool goodness of the mountains.
To know great travel stories, visit my Travel blog from India..